The title says it all: I've had this wonderful McCall pattern since May (bought it at Vintage Martini, great choice and impeccable service with delivery worldwide), I was very impressed by it and wondered if I'd ever be able to make it. Indeed, it looked soooo gorgeous on the illustration, it had geometrical seams on the bodice, darts/pleats on the sleeves and even the simple gathered skirt looked glamourous. See:
So, 2 days ago I was gazing at it once more when I decided to just give it a try, I copied the pattern, went for some paper fitting and the proportions seemed to work, I just lowered the neckline a little because it looked extremely high -I've been chocking in a few vintage blouses so I came prepared this time^^. I cut the dress in some good quality navy cotton, had no problem assembling the square seams (CLIP' em), sewed the sleeves' darts in 3 minutes, set them in effortlessly -the armhole and caps matched perfectly- handmade the buttonholes and facings' finish, sewed the gathered skirt with the bodice and finally handsewed a regular zipper and... that was it. I put it on, the fit was GREAT, I was so shocked! I swear I heard that Alleluiah song when I saw the finished dress^^. I was so eager to show it to you I took pictures myself, hence the horrible lighting and strange centring.
I'm already thinking about the next version -flower rayon and long sleeves- and the after next one^^ -beige and black, to enhance the seams. See you!