lundi 8 avril 2013

Casual tops

After years of DREADING to sew with knits -fabric will move like crazy when tracing, chalk lines won't show, I need a serger, etc- I took the resolution to at least try it in 2013 and now I feel silly because it's actually super easy! I made two pairs of leggings and two tops and then I even made a dress!
So, the fabric didn't move around as much as I thought and about the tracing problem, I sew so often with Japanese and Burda patterns that I'm used to adding seam allowances while tracing^^ so here I simply added the seam allowances to my pattern and then cut around the paper, duh. I still don't have a serger -I almost got one in 2010 but had to give it back before I could use it because I was broke as hell and needed the money :(- but my brave little Singer does the job perfectly well with its zigzag stitch!
The pattern for the tops comes from an old Burda, I needed a design similar to my old beloved black top and this one is perfect with a boatneck and slim 3/4 sleeves:



Of course I chose stripes, I managed to match them on the sides but not with the sleeves unfortunately. To finish the top I simply zigzagged the edges, folded them and stitched. I also have a leopard one which I made first, you can tell because I used stretch bias to finish the neckline, which was a bad idea since it ended a bit wonky -still love the top though:


These two have become staples in my wardrobe, even when I don't feel like dressing I'm happy that I can slip into something handmade to wear with my jeans!
And since I have some of these fabrics left I want to make matching cardigans because I have a serious thing for twin sets :)

6 commentaires:

  1. I bet they are staples! They are fabulous, it's all about stripes with me this year.. I'm really loving yours!


    Bundana
    @ http://www.bundana.blogspot.co.uk

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Gorgeous- what kind of neck edging did you do? Thats the part that always makes me nervous with knits!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thanks pretty, I just folded the neckline to the inside after I had zigzagged the edge and then ran a stitch along it to keep it in place! I repeat, this really gave a better result than using the stretch bias tape.

      Supprimer
  3. Do you promise? I mean about the super easy part. Because, I'm still too scared to sew with knits. But, I'd really like to try.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Yes, I do^^! Seriously once you have found the correct stitch on your machine everything will go smoothly. And you can start with moderately stretch knits which is what I did :)

      Supprimer