samedi 12 juin 2010

Sew-along 6

Hello everyone, hope you're doing well! Ali, thank you for your questions because they allow me to make a big post that I hope will be helpful for the making of the top. So let's see:

1 Front, cut 1 on fold
2 Back, cut 1 on fold

3 Sleeve, cut 2

Yes to these 3!

V-neck (cut two or four? I assume four because you mention facing)
: cut 4, there are indeed facings for the band.

Also on front and back, do I cut along the curvy outline for the v-neck (toward the neck) or the straight diagonal line used in tracing? Please cut along the curvy line BUT don't forget to add the 1 cm seam allowance before doing so!

And the 1 cm seam allowance for the v-band is toward the shoulder, is that where I stitch the v-band to the shirt (as in right sides together) or do I simply topstitch the band onto the shirt?

I would advise you to fold and topstitch as shown in the following pictures (which were BEAUTIFULLY enhanced with my great mastery of the sophisticated Paint software!):


And don't forget to add a 1 cm seam-allowance along the other side of the band as well!

In sewing on the v-band, do you mean you do one strip at a time?
Yes I do, first the left band along the bodice then the left facing to the attached left band. After that, I attached the right band to the bodice and finished with sewing the right facing to the attached right band -pheeew^^.

I'm trying to follow the numbered steps, but what does 1 say? And is the following right?
2. Stitch shoulder seams
3. V-band (stitch long sides together, fold, topstitch?): see the above paragraph on the attaching of the V-band
4. Sew sleeves: by the way, in case you haven't noticed it already there will be a little ease to spread while sewing the sleeves' cap.
5. Side seams
6, 7 & 8 seem obvious.
You're right! I think step 1 is just a reminder about tracing your pieces on fabric and cutting them before starting.

See you!

5 commentaires:

  1. I have been following the sew along, but have not started the project. I must be blind, I can't figure out the first part, how to print the pattern. It is obvious that it must be enlarged, but by how much or what %. Sorry if this shows up as anonomous, I don't know how to sign up with my name either.
    Thanks,
    Kathy

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Thank you for this posting Cecili. I have cut out the band and will try fixing it maybe tonight or tommorrow.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Thank you, Cecili!! So, so helpful. I've got family coming to town, but I'll try and cut out today and sew on Monday! Looking forward to seeing all your creations :)

    PS Diagrams are so helpful! You totally rock at the amazing Paint software.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Yay, I finished my project! The pictures and description are on my blog

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Hi Cecili! I tagged you in a game of eight questions if you care to play, no pressure!
    http://sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com/2010/06/question-time.html

    RépondreSupprimer