samedi 22 août 2015

Kitty skirt

So remember this Tomato fabric from the last post? I wanted to make a big flowy skirt with it but in the end I went with a big straight skirt :)

I used pattern 109 from the February 2015 issue of Burda magazine, except that I didn't have enough fabric for the long tie belt so I altered the skirt to make it a regular one instead of a wrapped one. Since I really wanted to keep the huge pockets and the pleats on the front and back sides I put the zipper on the left.
In order to avoid any pulling or other placement mistakes I basted the zipper portion of the side seam close, sewed the pocket, unbasted and added the zipper. Also I put plain black cotton on the top of the pockets to emphasize them.

I'm quite happy with the result, I know A-line shapes don't usually work very well on me because my hips/waist ratio is small -ie I have log body syndrom- but thanks to the big print and pockets and that wide vintage belt it's not that bad!

vendredi 7 août 2015

Auntie skirt

So here in Reunion we have a word for middle-aged to elderly women who wear very demure/old-fashionned clothes: they are "matante" which translates to "auntie" in English. All my friends call me that because I often have knee length skirts, floral dresses and the like...
Well, in honour of my nickname I have made the ultimate matante skirt: it's full, under the knee and it has pastel flowers that belong on a grandmother's housecoat all over it!

The pattern comes from a French sewing magazine called Style fashion (the irony!), the waist is fitted by three pleats in the front and two in the back which closes with an invisible zipper:

There should be pockets in the side seams but I didn't put them because I've already made the skirt (with black linen BTW) and they are too high for my taste and show at the opening anyway. In fact I'll probably remove them soon even though they're Liberty :(
Also I shortened the hem on this one because my other skirt is a bit too long and makes me look short -I guess I'll have to change that too!
I really like this pattern and I'm thinking of sewing it out of amazing cat-printed green linen from Japan:

dimanche 2 août 2015

Easy dress

I lengthened the bodice of my TNT babydoll pattern -the sleeveless version- a little for this pull over dress, the fabric is a navy linen and cotton mix and I made a coordinated sash to go from a relaxed style to a more fitted one:


Of course it has pockets and it's finished with bias from the same fabric, some green printed poplin from Spotlight.
And now for the best part IMO^^, I made a bag with super gorgeous camelia printed cotton from Japan to add some colour to the dress:

I should have taken a pic of the lining which is tiny black gingham, it goes really well with that big colourful print!